Share/Bookmark

rockin' the suburbs \06.21\

No comment yet
In an ideal world, I would have a much more interesting photo for today.  I had grand expectations of stopping over at Northwestern's campus as I passed through Evanston.  In reality, there was no time or energy for such endeavors; so you get a snapshot taken from my driver's seat at a red light.  It is in Evanston though.

I was on the road by 7:00am (it then took only an hour to go twenty miles - insert sarcasm font), then I spent nine hours unpacking a home for a family of five, followed by another hour-long commute.  I decided to skip the highway route on the journey home for two reasons: 1) an accident on the Eden would have made my commute time indefinite and 2) the thought of zig zagging around back roads for the scenic route sounded appealing.

Today's deep thoughts on life were more like reaffirmations...and not that deep.  First, I don't think I could make it living in the city and working in the burbs.  That whole notion of an easier reverse commute is a myth (as opposed to suburbs to city).  My speedometer rarely topped 20 mph this morning.  And second, people just flat out own way more belongings than they could possibly need.  Clearly I am not exempt, although 550 square feet of living space helps stifle the urge to invest in material goods.  Every time I do an unpack or organizing job, I want to come home and purge "stuff".  At least I have a small head start on the game with my nearly obsessive need to organize and contain; that makes accumulation less likely.  It's also helpful that I have long since renounced willingness to partake in ownership of knick knacks and tchotchkes.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER