Share/Bookmark

dog days of summer \06.15\

No comment yet

Although it's not technically summer, I feel confident in qualifying any day hovering around 90 degrees as summertime.  As stifling as those days can feel, I still have a difficult time succumbing to air conditioning.  The warm and sunny weather seems so fleeting in the Midwest that I try to appreciate it, even when sweat is dripping down my back.  Plus, I've learned not to underestimate the power of a shady spot on a hot day.  And the best hot summer days end in cool summery nights.

Today was one of those days, spent in the glory of Pure Michigan.  It's no secret that I have a soft spot for my home state.  The older I get, and the longer I live away from here, the more I learn to appreciate the little things that I've always loved.  There's a simple pleasure in driving at night, windows down, the smell of summer air whipping in the windows.  Mom & pop ice cream places with only a walk-up window, willing to sell me a decent portion of soft serve for under $2.00.  And the even smaller details: the smell of hose water on a hot concrete driveway, complete strangers acknowledging each others' existence when they pass on the sidewalk, and there's even something about country music from the late 90s while driving down a dirt road.

Don't worry, Chicago, I still love you.  And when winter rolls around, even Pure Michigan commercials are virtually powerless.  My allegiances head south; not Florida-style snowbird south, but Latin America south.  So many love affairs.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER