Share/Bookmark

mellow yellow \06.19\

No comment yet
My inbox gets hit at least once each day with what I call "food for thought" emails.  These are blogs I've subscribed to or email lists I've joined that run a gamut of topics from motivation, pursuing the unconventional work life, personal finance, and more.  Their essential function is to make me think, acting as catalysts for change and inspiration.

Some days these emails just reassure me that either I'm not completely insane...or there are at least other people out there as crazy as me.  Today's blog post from Escape the City referenced a short article by a guy named Daniel H. Pink.  Essentially, he wanted to point out the shift in what motivates work enjoyment and productivity in the 21st century, and urge employers to upgrade.  Here's how my email "read and response" sequence went:

Read: Autonomy - the desire to direct our own lives
Response: Yes
Read: Mastery - the urge to get continuously better at something that matters
Response: YES
Read: Purpose - the yearning to do what we do in the service of something larger than ourselves
Response: YES!!!

My final consensus: this is precisely the must-have list that guides my job search.  I'm going to have to pull out the needle in a haystack metaphor here.  Already pretty convinced that this combo is a rare find, this article confirms that others are seeking and not finding it.  Instead of letting this scarcity discourage me, I prefer to appreciate the fact that I'm not alone in seeking these elements as the building blocks of my work life.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER