Share/Bookmark

scrolling along \06.09\

No comment yet
In an effort to delay turning on my money-sucking AC unit, the best option seemed to be leaving my apartment.  A dousing of sunscreen and swimsuit later, I started making forward progress toward the beach while steeling myself for the mass of humanity that I would encounter.  At noon, there were already enough people making noise and kicking sand around to spoil that tranquil feeling that I hoped against hope to find.  An hour later, when a couple plopped their party down about nine inches from my towel, not even my iPod could help me drift away.  In an act of pure stubborn perseverance, I dragged out my stay for another hour.

Since I wasn't ready to go back to my hotbox, I wandered into a slice of park and found a shady spot under a tree.  I alternated between reading and closing my eyes, until a group of couples decided to bust out a game of bocce on the lawn around me.  Time to admit defeat and call it quits.

I started dawdling home at a pace that was fitting for the temperature, passing a young girl selling lemonade en route.  She didn't even try to convince me to buy a cup as I passed by, just stared at the ground.  That was my first thought, quickly followed by the completely hypothetical scenario of me having a kid with a lemonade stand.  Without a doubt, I'd have them one step shy of writing out a business plan.  Requirements would include defining their unique selling proposition, developing signage/attention grabbers, a rehearsed sales pitch, and an understanding of customer service.  Obviously this would all be pared down to a comprehensible level for a young child.  But if you're going to let them run a money-making endeavor, you might as well teach them a little bit about business.  Plus, just think about how much better they'll feel about the enterprise if it's a success!  I'm only thinking of the kids.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER