Share/Bookmark

urban commuter \06.29\

No comment yet
This morning I somehow started entertaining a barrage of thoughts about change and evolution (not the origin of species type), how it's easy to not put much stock in a tweak here and a nudge there.  All of a sudden, looking back, you realize how different things used to be.  It's that perspective that has a tendency to make me think, "I'm so old."

It started innocently enough.  I needed a stamp to mail my rent (because I always forget to schedule for my bank to send it in time) and I had no idea what postage costs anymore.  Thanks to Google, something that didn't exist for a majority of my lifetime, that wasn't difficult to discern.  And it's $0.45, in case you're wondering.  My first thought was, "I remember when I was a kid and stamps were only $0.29."  This segued into reminiscence of gas being less than a dollar a gallon, $0.25 payphone calls, using encyclopedias and reference books to research and write essays, etc., etc.

Walking back from the post office, I was listening to music on my phone and stopped to take a photo for this very blog.  And suddenly I was a little bit in awe of the technology that I held.  So many capabilities in one little dude.  We're literally attached at the hip every day.  Somehow, again, I managed to spend most of my life without one because smartphones didn't exist.

I know that I'm not the only one who rolls my eyes when my parents are clueless about technology or intimidated to just click buttons and see what happens.  Now I'm wondering what might happen in the next twenty years of my life that could leave me in the dust.  Hitting adolescence in the boom of the technological age is sort of like starting to learn a foreign language when you're a young child.  You're not scared of it and just absorb it better.  It will be interesting to see what the next generation schools us on.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER