Share/Bookmark

word art \06.22\

No comment yet
My brother graduated from high school in 1999, marking the first member of our generation to have a graduation party.  I appointed myself as lead sign maker.  Standard letter-size paper indicated trash receptacles, can recycling (because we do that in Michigan, $0.10 each), the assortment of beverages in each cooler, etc.  Poster board demarcated the major turns to arrive at our house and clearly announced that the party was there.  These were not quickly scrawled in black permanent marker; I had an arsenal of colors and put block letters and doodles to good use.

At the time, my five-year-old cousin was in awe of how I came up with these creations.  She begged me to make her a sign on a spare poster board.  That sign, bearing her name and assorted girly doodles, hung on her bedroom door for probably the next ten years.  This year it was her turn to graduate, and tomorrow it's her party.  Several months ago, I promised that my gift to her would be something creative and homemade.  This is my final product.

My original concept didn't pan out, because I couldn't find the necessary materials.  Then I realized that I have absolutely no clue what eighteen-year-old girls are into these days.  So, I turned to the new one-stop shop for crafting, clothing, food, and any other miscellany you can imagine - Pinterest.  A search for "dorm" pulled up hundreds of results, girls building boards with their dream dorm decor.  One running theme seemed to involve letters, monograms and words as art.  Based on that and the knowledge of a bright color scheme, I made the rest up as I went along.

Now that this project is over, I'll have to find another creative outlet.  Maybe some day I'll even take the time to make art for myself instead of someone else.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER