Share/Bookmark

play ball \06.14\

No comment yet

Wrigley Field is practically in my backyard (abstractly speaking), so I've been by it countless times.  During my years in Chicago, I've even "watched" games from four or five of the rooftops just beyond the outfield (those are more for eating and drinking than the game itself).  Somehow I had never managed to step foot inside that historic little ballpark though.  What better occasion to make my first visit than a visit from my hometown sluggers?

I think the baseball gods were in agreement with this last second plan hatched with my dad.  The weather was perfect: high 70s, sunny, nice lake breeze.  The game was sold out (scalpers were looking for $100-300 per ticket) and we managed to snag some seats for face value ($32.50).  Those seats were right behind home plate, but the view was slightly obstructed...so we upgraded ourselves about twenty rows closer during the third inning.  Verlander was pitching and the Tigers sealed the win with a homer in the 9th inning.  I couldn't have constructed the scene better myself.

Cubs games are so much better when I have a vested interest in one of the teams playing.  I don't think it will matter how long I live in Chicago, these teams will never really feel like mine.  It seems safe to assume that this extends to locales other than Chicago.  East Lansing and Detroit branded me for life; I feel that it would be difficult for any city/team to usurp or even join them.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER