Share/Bookmark

stormfront \08.05\

No comment yet
Something about a good summer storm puts me in a blissful state of awe, ignites my senses.  When the thunder rolls, I can feel it rumbling through my own body.  The patter of rain creates a percussive lull and the smell is intoxicatingly fresh and natural.  Lightning glowers in the clouds or streaks through the sky, its own personal gallery, creating an abstract display of meteorological art.

I find myself amazed at the evolution of a clear blue sky into a dark and ominous storm cell.  The colors in the sky and the shapes in the clouds are usually most entrancing in that short calm before the storm.  In those moments, I find myself concurrently appreciating the scene and anticipating the next phase.  Somehow I manage to find an inherent peace in Mother Nature's turmoil.

This fascination isn't new, I have many childhood and adolescent memories tied to stormy summer days.  My dad and I used to open the garage door as a storm rolled in and set up lawn chairs at its edge.  We would bring our books, sometimes a newspaper, and sit in companionable silence while we watched and felt the storm around us.

On rainy days, when the thunder and lightning were absent, my brothers and I would ravage the garage for buckets, wheelbarrows, wagons, anything that could hold water.  Smaller containers would be placed under downspouts around the perimeter of the house.  As a container filled, we would replace it with an empty and relay the rainwater contents to a wheelbarrow.  There was no real purpose to this activity besides frolicking in the rain.  Although, sometimes we would agree to give the dog a bath in our collection.

And in high school I had a few friends with a habit of driving into parking lots where huge puddles formed, then rushing out of the car to stomp and splash like five-year-olds.  If it was nighttime, we'd simply aim the car's headlights in the general vicinity of the best puddles.  We'd end up soaked through, laughing until our stomachs ached, and completely jubilant.  Clearly I wasn't a particularly rebellious teenager.

So, I no longer have a garage or a yard with downspouts, my dad and brothers live in different states than me, and it's been awhile since I found anyone with a penchant for puddle jumping.  Regardless, I still find myself aflutter with anticipation whenever a summer storm starts to roll in.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER