Share/Bookmark

booking it \08.08\

No comment yet
Some combination of time constraints and laziness resulted in a lapse of my library card and lack of effort to renew it.  That was over a year ago.  It's amazing that in all of these months of non-employment, I only just thought to change that.

In the months since February, I've scoured my own bookshelves for re-reads, borrowed books from friends, downloaded some free classics on my phone, and even invested in a few new paperbacks with assistance from a gift card.  For some reason, the library fell to an option of last resort.  Admittedly, my closest branch doesn't have a stunning collection and is approximately the same square footage as the row house next to my apartment building.

As soon as I stepped inside the library, despite those things, it felt like home and I started uncovering treasures that I didn't even know I was looking for.  Lonely Planet (my favorite travel book brand) put out a guide in 2006 for taking urban travel photography.  In a world filled with tutorials, blogs and books on taking engagement and toddler photos, this was like a holy grail.  It didn't even last through the afternoon - I devoured it.

Some of the non-fiction books that I expressed interest in recently, I've been dragging my feet on the purchase.  Hardcover books are pricey.  Unless you check them out of the library.  I'm currently on a waiting list for both books; apparently I'm not the only person interested in a behind-the-scenes look at introverts.

Now that my library card is back in working order, my to-do list includes a trip to the Harold Washington Library in the Loop.  It's unacceptable that I've never been.  And I hear they have some great spaces to hunker down for reading or working.  Enough writing about books, time to go read one.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER