Share/Bookmark

ode to andy \08.31\

No comment yet
When I wrote yesterday's post, including a completely offhand comment about Andy Roddick, little did I know that it would be followed by news to inspire a dedicated post.  At 5:05pm CT yesterday, a press conference changed the whole landscape of my tennis obsession.

In true Roddick style, there was no beating around the bush.  Only a matter-of-fact statement regarding his decision to retiring following the US Open.  A lump formed in my throat and I spent the next thirty minutes willing myself to not cry.  Because who cries over press conferences?

I've had a long and dedicated journey as a Roddick fan, there's a Reebok trucker hat with a stitched Roddick signature in my closet to prove it.  And maybe two posters in my storage locker, because I can't fathom getting rid of them.

At times, when his critics were in full attack mode, I was defending him as if he was a close personal friend.  Some of those times I was alone in my apartment yelling at commentators on the TV screen.

I'll miss that unique service motion and the 140 mph serves extending off of his racquet.  The snarky press conferences cannot be matched by another player.  My only hope is that he makes it into the booth one day, so that his commentary can at least keep me from withdrawals.

Starting with the press conference, continuing to today's pre- and post-match, and I'm sure through the end of his tournament - I'm fighting back tides of emotion, because his words and actions are palpably sentimental.  Hopefully he has several rounds left in him, but Sunday is a given and I'll be tuning in until the bittersweet end.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER