Share/Bookmark

live and love \08.06\

No comment yet
A few months my great aunt had a stroke that left her incapable of ever swallowing on her own again.  Approaching 90 years old, she has always been a vivacious and strong woman, living alone in her own house for many years.  The side effects of the stroke took her quality of life and made her feel as if she wasn't really living anymore.

So last week she asked them to remove her feeding tube, which would inevitably only give her another week or two to live.  My grandma is by her sister's side daily, while my mom visits a couple times a week.  I've made sure to call and talk to her, disregarding my own feeling of awkwardness at discerning proper topics of conversation in such circumstances.

My mom called today to tell me that they're putting her on morphine this afternoon and she doesn't have much time left.  All my great aunt talks about is how happy she has been to hear from and see so many people in the past week.

There wasn't much to say when I called today, but I made sure to cover the things that are most important: I love you & goodbye.  Although I'm typically pretty stoic with emotions, my throat seized up and my eyes brimmed over with tears as I squeaked out these words.

Lessons reinforced today: It's worth putting aside your nonsense to ensure that important people know what they mean to you.  Live a life that reaps the kind of love where everyone is knocking down your door and making your phone ring to make sure you know it.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER