Share/Bookmark

track view \08.14\

No comment yet
The first half of my day seemed intent on not going as expected or desired.  With a recruiter meeting scheduled in River North at 11:00am, I left my place at 10:25am to hop an 11 bus.

As handy as the CTA's bus tracker is, sometimes it lies.  I was supposed to have a four-minute walk that should've easily fit within my seven-minute clearance.  Instead I was a half-block away from the stop as I watched the bus accelerate southbound through the intersection.

No problem, there's always a 22 bus as an alternate plan.  Again I was left with seven minutes to book it two and a half blocks...in heels.  And clearly I haven't had a need to wear heels at any time in the past eight months, so blisters were already forming.

Guess what happened when I was a half-block away?  Southbound bus, intersection, acceleration.  Luckily I live at a virtual crossroads of buses, so I just kept walking the next block over to the 156.  Unfortunately, ten to fifteen minutes had already passed and I had another nine minutes to wait.

Anyone who knows me well is familiar with my anal retentive need to not only be on time, but early. And now I was not only destined to be late, but late to what was essentially a preliminary job interview.

If you'd like to fast forward about twenty minutes with me, I somehow managed to walk in the door, flustered and glistening a bit from the effort, only one minute late.  Then it took only another fifteen seconds to learn that my recruiter was running late.

Thus, I spent a half hour at the Starbucks patio on Franklin and Chicago, people watching and taking pictures of the 'L' tracks.  I felt justified in taking the afternoon off for napping and reading after all of the transportation excitement.  And I think I'll wear flats for the rest of 2012.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER