Share/Bookmark

formation \08.17\

No comment yet
I've been working on coaxing out my inner optimist.  Today marked my most recent experiment.  This year marks the fourth summer that I have spent living in Chicago, which also equates to living through four Air & Water Show weekends.

Although I have never actually attended the show, I'm fully capable of imagining two million bodies crammed into the thin stretch of lakefront land between Oak Street Beach and Fullerton.  And I want no part of that mass of sweaty people.

Since I also live in the vicinity, that overflow reaches my day-to-day life.  The simple act of using a sidewalk becomes a life-endangering pursuit.  The second anyone starts to hear jet thrust, they come to  a complete and abrupt stop in front of you, even in the crosswalks, to look up into the sky.  Thus, I tend to skip town each year on this weekend.

Unfortunately I skipped town last weekend and gas is expensive.  So, instead I've decided to change my mind and behavior, to the extent that I can.

First of all, I've admitted to myself that sitting in my apartment and watching Blue Angels fly-bys is a rather unique experience.  And the sound of jet thrust does bring me back to the absurd number of times that I watched Top Gun in high school, before I knew too much about Tom Cruise.  These guys  do some pretty amazing things and I have to appreciate them for that.

Secondly, I realized that through a simple act known as avoidance, I can remain mostly ignorant to the gawking masses and the inherent frustrations.  Google was helpful in finding me the show times (10am-3pm), so I'll make sure to avoid the streets during that period.  I'll avoid the lakefront at all costs and attempt to make any outdoor movements in a westward direction.

So maybe I'm still not a natural optimist, but I gave up a little ground.  Baby steps.


Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER