Share/Bookmark

glistening \05.23\

No comment yet
I know, I know.  A large portion of my photos are floral-based.  Let's just call it one of my girlier traits and move on.

In an effort to be prepared at a moment's notice, should the perfect job opportunity spring up in front of, I took a little time to bring my resume up-to-date.  Essentially, that meant assigning a January 2012 end date and adding a "Freelance" heading.  Being naturally inquisitive, I thought that I'd engage in a little Googling before writing out my freelance section.  How do that HR and resume professionals in internet land believe you should position independent work situations.

As it turns out, most of them told me that terms like "freelance", "contract" and "independent" are red flags.  Most people use them as gap fillers, while it indicates a penchant to start a solo enterprise for others.  I suppose that both of those could be fair assessments.  On my resume, though, freelance indicates a need to still be involved in a productive activity while exploring my options.  It is a means of continuing to grow while ensuring that I ultimately make the best decision for my future.  In my opinion, the time I spend freelancing shouldn't qualify me for the slush pile of resumes.

At the end of the day, I'll be so bold as to say that any company relegating me to that pile based on several months of working freelance isn't the type of company that will understand and appreciate what I have to offer.  So, my resume now proudly waves its freelance flag.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER