Share/Bookmark

rain delay \07.14\

No comment yet
Whenever we head to the Chicagoland suburbs, "we" meaning city dwellers, there is always an interesting dichotomy of sentiment.  On one hand, the ease of loading everyone into a car at the exact moment you want to leave, then arriving directly at the door of your destination, is a luxury that seems to fall into the recesses of your mind.  So, it's much enjoyed and appreciated.  Until you take into consideration that urban to suburban commute...and vice versa.  The daily bus and train rides seem less menacing.  At least you get to listen to music while you ride or drive in a car.

It's also a refreshing change of pace to recall the singular convenience of a mall, where all stores are located in one place.  And every store has room to walk and breathe, instead of resembling a mosh pit.  But when you're in mall land, retail therapy completed and the hunger pangs starting, the options for food and beverage start to feel very limited.  Urbanites are spoiled by the sheer quantity of options within walking distance, let alone a bus or train ride.

After spending 25 years as a borderline rural/suburban type, I can see both sides of the argument.  I hate waiting outside for a bus at 11:00pm, but I love not having to worry about safely transporting myself home when I want to have a few glasses of wine with friends.  Just as I still harbor some of my suburban preferences, I imagine that leaving the city would not rid me of all of my urban biases.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER