Share/Bookmark

crafty fencing \07.10\

No comment yet
Staying true to form for my curious nature, I've been spending some time looking into resources on chronological versus skill-based resumes.  I consider it a valid topic, because 1) I'm starting to put some of those documents out into the wild again and 2) the positions that I'm interested in are more like second cousins to my previous job titles.

The final verdict was pretty much a wash; it depends on the recruiter/HR manager's preference.  Arguments for skill-based say that it allows a candidate to better highlight their relevancy for a position unrelated to their work history or it makes an employment gap less glaring by shifting the focus.  On the other hand, many argued that skill-based versions require resume excavation: Did they learn that skill in their previous role?  College?  Online?  I suppose this is where a well-crafted cover letter could make a difference.

At the end of my digital exploration, I stayed with the more standard chronological version...with a twist.  I started with an extremely succinct bulleted list of skills, followed by my work history, and highlighted only those tasks and accomplishments relevant to the qualities noted in the job description.  Luckily, my job change is more of a tweak than a jump of industries, so a lot of my skills are still applicable.

The most astute statement that I came across during my search was a call for employers to state how they would like information presented to them.  I can tailor my writing to whatever you want, as long as you tell me.  And if you don't read cover letters, just tell me not to bother.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER