Share/Bookmark

the call of ikea \07.18\

No comment yet
Sometimes you have to follow your whims.  I woke up to 100% humidity in my apartment this morning and couldn't fathom spending another consecutive day sitting in this 550 sq. ft. box, staring at the computer screen, searching for the holy grail (a.k.a. the perfect job).  I waited for commuters to leave the highway and headed for the land of Ikea.

Although going on this particular day was a whim, there was a purpose and a plan.  I have a tendency to dream up apartment projects and wish lists, but never execute on them.  Why?  Because it never seems particularly urgent when it's rare that anyone besides me sees the interior of my place.

Which brings me to a habit that I need to break.  If it will make me happy to purchase a wall-mounted wine rack, then I should make the effort to do it.  So, I did.  I added some curtains to the haul, too.  The 100 inches of mini-blinds could use a little more pizzaz.

Thanks to the budget-friendly options I can dig up at Ikea, I didn't exactly break the bank.  There was still a glimmer of guilt in my head though.  How could I validate spending money on non-essential items while I'm not making a full-time salary?  I did receive birthday money back in March that never went to a particular use.

This goes back to another non-indulgence habit of mine.  When someone writes me a check as a gift, I have a tendency to deposit it and most likely contribute it to my landlord or energy company.  Happy birthday to me, I paid the electric bill!  So, instead, I'm using a few of those dollars toward Mission: Home Sprucing.

And you know what?  I haven't even hung the curtains yet, but already my space is feeling refreshed and that's infused me with a little extra vigor as well.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER