Share/Bookmark

fence post floral \07.25\

No comment yet
It's a few days early yet, but I have Olympic fever.  In fact, it's quite possibly as severe as the Grand Slam fever that I get four times per tennis season.  The kind where you want to be glued to not only the TV screen, but also any available computer monitors, ensuring that you catch as many pivotal moments of athleticism as possible.

I vaguely remember the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.  Without a doubt, I was obsessed during the 1996 Atlanta games though - mainly with gymnastics and the medal count by country.  Honestly, I was essentially keeping a spreadsheet on a giant whiteboard, which was updated daily.  During my free hours, I was also penning a rather well-crafted Olympics newsletter with the assistance of Microsoft Publisher.  I'm pretty sure there's still an issue of that floating around somewhere in my parents' basement.

In the sixteen years since then, my interest has spanned further into other sports.  Gymnastics still holds the softest spot, even if I don't follow as avidly as I once did.  No doubt that tennis, played on the hallowed grounds of Wimbledon, will have my attention.  I couldn't conceive of missing any Phelps/Lochte drama in the pool.  Throw in a dash of track, diving, beach volleyball...it's going to be a busy time.

Here's to hoping that the games can go off without a hitch, staying a celebration of athleticism and not a demonstration of politics.  I was in London when things got scary in 2005, luckily remaining unscathed, but that's not a scenario that I wish on anyone.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER