Share/Bookmark

brick stamping \07.12\

No comment yet
Parents want what's best for you, but they can also get anxious when you're talking a path or stance they don't understand.  That's why I'm not surprised by the consistent advice and coaxing that I receive in regards to my next move in life.

The resounding message has been, "Just try things and see what sticks."  Translation: apply for a lot of jobs, go on interviews, then decide if it's right for you.  The problem is that I have a sneaking suspicion that the right role for me may be one that I don't even know exists.  So the traditional seek and apply method is likely to continue leading me to the same opportunities that I've moved away from.

This is why I'm about to employ some multi-tasking.  My natural element has never been large groups of people that I don't know.  Although I've become more at ease with it during the first phase of my career, it's still one of those areas that I have to push outside of the comfort zone.  So I've started seeking out opportunities to volunteer or events to attend where there is a high likelihood of being surrounded by similar-minded people.  The added value is the possibility of encountering new ideas and roles that a traditional job search would never uncover.

And, of course, there's always that old adage of "It's not what you know, it's who you know".  I can't foresee a downside to knowing more people.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER