Share/Bookmark

garden sprinkling \07.02\

No comment yet
If you looked at a timeline of every place that I've been employed, there's a strong undercurrent of customer service and client-related jobs.  Starting with restaurant and retail work, continuing through the advertising and marketing roles, and right up to the organizing jobs that I undertake today.  For every job that fits in the customer service category, I can also recall an individual telling me that they wouldn't peg me for the type to have a job like that.

I'm not arguing with the appraisal.  By nature I'm more of an observer, a thinker, a problem-solver. Admittedly, my first customer-facing role was a bit of an internal battle to convince myself that I could do it.  Over the years, that trepidation started to fade.  And while I may still more naturally embrace the "think and solve" role, taking the reins in customer-related scenarios isn't an internal struggle anymore.

My conclusion: you don't need to be a natural at something to do it successfully.  And not only successfully, but well.  Instead of trying to mimic those who are natural extroverts, I opted to interpret customer service in the way that felt most natural to me.  It probably also helps that I'm stubborn and determined to succeed.  If I'm bad at something, I want to get better (although I prefer to hone the skill without anyone looking over my shoulder).  Finally, I've learned to accept that I'm not always smooth, but I like to think that my occasional lapses are more endearing and genuine than awkward.

A different employment path may have been easier and less nerve-wracking, but this goes beyond professional development.  I truly believe that this unnatural path was vital for my personal development, starting as a shy child and learning not only how to interact with the surrounding world, but ultimately that determination a handy tool for success.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER