Share/Bookmark

textural complements \04.07\

No comment yet
There are times where taking photos appears completely natural and other times when you can make yourself feel extremely self-conscious.  On the beaches of Costa Rica, there were dozens of people wandering around with cameras in hand.  Taking an afternoon stroll alone through the residential streets of Chicago, you tend to get scrutinized more often.  I have definitely walked past something that piqued my curiosity more than once, because someone was walking near me.  In my head, I'm telling myself that if I stop and take a picture of the flower by that front stoop...the person behind me is going to think I'm some kind of criminal or creeper.

In reality, nine out of ten people are probably just as curious as me.  They want to know what I see that's so interesting.  Last week I stopped, squatted, and contorted myself to get an angle I liked on an expanse of white tulips in front of a row house.  There was a woman walking toward me, but I decided to disregard her.  As she walked by, she simply said, "They certainly are beautiful, aren't they."  She could not have cared less.  Maybe she would've even liked a copy of the photo that I took.

This is a psychological war I've always fought, not just in photographing the streets of Chicago.  I tend to be a play by the rules kind of girl.  Beyond that, I don't like to call attention to myself.  In doing so, I often miss out on opportunity.  So, in a roundabout way, this blog is helping me realize how illogical of a wall I've constructed.  Hopefully, I continue to make progress in knocking it down.  Although, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from analyzing whether it looks like a I'm casing someone's home before I take a photo.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER