Share/Bookmark

the air up there \11.20\

No comment yet
Perhaps thanks to a hybrid of my stress level and the impending winter weather, I've been at odds with public transportation lately.  We've hit that apex in the year when buses start to pass you by, because they're already packed full.  Or every time I'm ready to leave, the next bus is 25 minutes away.  Odds are high, especially on certain routes, that someone will be crazy and someone else will be obnoxious.

I understand the other side of the argument, too.  There are no worries about finding a parking spot. If I've had a few glasses of wine, I don't have to be concerned about how I'll get home.  Dealing with crazy people operating automobiles is generally more threatening than the crazy guy in the next bus seat.

But there are many moments where I just crave the simplicity of jumping in my car, pulling up in front of the store or gym, and heading inside.  Then when I'm ready to leave, my mode of transportation is ready to sweep me away home.  I don't have to wait for it to arrive, it doesn't stop every block.  The few times that I've driven to work, it was amazing how much time was shaved off of my commute.

There may be some added sensitivity in light of the announcement about increased CTA fares in 2013.  My monthly pass is getting hiked up 16% to $100 per month.  That's hefty.  But unless they're also deciding to stop charging for garage parking in the Loop, you'll continue to see me board the bus every workday.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER