Share/Bookmark

stop, look & listen \11.06\

No comment yet
Yes, that is the phrase often used to teach children about crossing the street.  We'd do well to heed as adults, but in a slightly different manner.  Life has a tendency to get busier as we transition into and through adulthood.  Maybe we start thinking one task or step ahead of where we are and what we're doing.  Or perhaps we just lose track of another lesson common to childhood, minding our 'Ps and Qs'.

I've tried to start being more cognizant of this in recent months and attempt to alter my own behaviors in areas where I'm an offender.  I make an effort to greet my bus driver and exit the front door with a "thank you".  And when everyone clambers to make it on to a crowded bus, cutting people off, I first have to remember to keep my composure over their rudeness.  Then I wait for my turn.  If I don't make it, there's bound to be another bus in less than ten minutes or two other routes a couple blocks away.

Today I went to an independently-owned lunch spot, where I remembered the owner to be a great man.  So when I stepped to the counter to make my order, instead of just barking out a menu item, I smiled and said hello.  When he asked me how I was doing, I responded and mirrored the question.  He smiled in return, said he was well, and told me in a thick middle eastern accent, "Nice always to see you".  I think we both made one another's day.

Or the other day, when the cashier at a store asked to see my credit card and ID.  I held them out for him while he finished folding the shirt I was buying.  And for that simple act, he thanked me.  He said that usually people just tossed them on the counter as if he were either contagious or they were annoyed.  We had another thirty seconds of lighthearted conversation before he smiled and wished me a wonderful day.

It's so simple.  Thank your cashier.  Treat your server like a human instead of peon.  Hold a door for a perfect stranger, even if you have to wait three seconds for them to reach the door.  I'm still not perfect at remembering all of my common courtesies, but I'm trying to make it more habitual.  I find it promising that I often mentally kick myself a few minutes too late when I do forget.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER