Share/Bookmark

city love \11.26\

No comment yet
Yes, Chicago, despite your wintry gray skies and freezing temperatures, I love you.  Despite that, I'm leaving you tomorrow.  To cheat on you with a city that many consider more prestigious.  We'll only be together for three days, so I hope you'll accept me back with open arms.

So I'm off to New York City tomorrow, before dawn even cracks, to visit the mother ship and add a few more tricks to my professional arsenal.  I found myself wondering if the streets of New York still have a constant odor of trash in the winter (I've only been there in August or September).  And for some reason I found myself feeling like I should set aside some time to peruse some of the iconic festive sights.

It's funny, because in Chicago I steer clear of the festive areas, clogged with tourists.  Of course, I've seen them all before, too.  No reason to subject myself to pandemonium when there's nothing new within it.  And after musing about the possible wintry smell of NYC, I walked outside into the Chicago twilight and it smelled like chocolate chip cookies.  It's one of those little things about the city that makes me smile.

And it sort of makes me think, for just a nanosecond, that the streets are going to start flowing with chocolate and my life will transform into a Willy Wonka movie.  Of course, there's always the dirty wet dog smell to convince me otherwise.  After four years, I'm pretty convinced that it tends to waft around the city on days with a combined high humidity and pollution level.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER