Share/Bookmark

in the mitten state \11.21\

No comment yet
This morning began on an unexpected note.  I have a habit, probably a bad one, of looking at my phone, immediately after waking, while I'm lying in bed .  It seems to help me jump start my brain and convince it that pushing snooze a fifth time is a bad idea.  This morning one of the emails in my inbox was a shocking awakening, one that has stuck with me all day.

When I first moved to Chicago, I became acquainted with a group of girls and we generally hung out every couple of weeks.  We didn't all have much in common with one another, so many of us drifted apart within a year or so.  But I have always been appreciative of this crew, because they were my first feeling of foundation in the urban jungle.

This morning I learned that one of those girls has been battling cancer for nearly two years and she passed away yesterday.  Despite the fact that we haven't spoken in years, the news hit me with a surreal thud.  My mind reeled through so many disparate thoughts, having difficulty in finding understanding in how someone that young and energetic is simply gone.  My heart aches for her family, her husband, and her close friends.  I can't imagine, and I hope to never experience, that pain.

So as we head into a day whose meaning can be overshadowed by food and football, this certainly puts my mind on the gratitude track (no doubt, I'm also grateful for food and football).  Despite my travails of the past couple of weeks, I am grateful for this life I lead - even if it's only because I am present and able to live it.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER