Share/Bookmark

twinkle, twinkle big city \11.13\

No comment yet
I'm reading a book that I don't particularly enjoy.  It's all in the name of accomplishing that Randomhouse list of best books, which has taught me that everyone has a different definition of "best".  Looking on the bright side though, the book did bring me one phrase that piqued my analytical mind.

"...she smiled, thinking how many shapes one person might wear..."

On a day where I wanted to do nothing more than come home and make zero effort at anything, I started thinking about the shapes that I wear.  They're all me at the end of the day.  (I'm less than adept at things involving lying and faking.)  But what I'm learning as I get older is that "me" is not a single point on a grid.  It's more of an arc that lives in a certain quadrant of that grid.

We all learn how to stretch or censor our personalities depending on the people and occasions.  It's not natural for me to network in large groups of people I don't know, but I've learned how to fit who I am into that situation and do it my way.  Sometimes I'm exhausted and have a penchant to enmesh myself in silence, but I wouldn't imagine leaving work at 2:00pm and refuse to talk to people.

And if you have ever managed to catch me in a state of sheer joy, you've witnessed one of the extremes in that arc known as "me".  Giddy isn't a shape that I often wear, but I smile knowing that I possess it in my repertoire.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER