Share/Bookmark

going for the 'w' \10.29\

No comment yet
There are a lot of crazy things going on around me, in the macro sense of the word.  It's causing me to stop and put things into perspective.  Despite the imperfections in my immediate life situation, I'm safe, warm and dry.  Sure, the winds are strong and the mercury is low in Chicago, but I don't have to be stressed about evacuating my home or being stranded.  There are no earthquakes, tsunamis or hurricanes beating down my door.

And then there are the unnatural disasters, those caused by people.  It's difficult to read or watch the news without running across these.  I hate to hear that Chicago's homicide rate is through the roof or that a gunmen is sniping at highway drivers in the community that I grew up.  There are so many examples thrown at us for sensationalism, to strike fear, and occasionally for genuine warning.

It's feasible that all of this could drag you down and make you think there's no purpose, disaster is everywhere you turn.  Instead you have to temper the presence of the negativity and also inject it alongside a dose of perspective, remembering to be grateful for the moment that you're in.

Our generation jokingly refers to our "first world problems" with memes and hashtags.  But real devastation can also hit our first world lives.  I spent a lot of time being distracted by an unsettled feeling today.  A little yoga session actually helped me connect the dots.  Now instead of taking my warmth and safety for granted tonight, I'm feeling genuinely grateful and hoping that I can pay that sentiment forward.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER