Share/Bookmark

bridging personalities \10.08\

No comment yet

As much as I thought that I was in touch with my introversion and how it played into my life, this book has highlighted behaviors and trends that I’ve always identified with but never categorized as side effects of introversion.  Usually when I read, I’m quick to jot down or type up quotes and passages.  If I tried to do that with Quiet, I’d just be transcribing nearly the entire book.

My biggest takeaway, and a new lens through which to consider feelings of anxiety or discomfort, is the concept of overstimulation.  Essentially introverts have less of filter when it comes to taking things in, whether they be sights, sounds, smells, feelings, thoughts, etc.  So anything exceptionally busy leads to a quick feeling of overstimulation, followed by shut down mode.

I’m highly familiar with shut down mode.  In fact, my current life pace has me consciously fighting it every day right now.  Being naturally accustomed to down time, quiet time, solo time – this frenetic pace and constant interaction are making me head reel.  Although I enjoy the activities that I’m doing and the people who accompany me, I know I’ll reach a point where there is no other choice besides recuperation.  Until then, I’ll work on taking small doses as I can find them.

I wish that I had understood introversion better as a child.  And that more educators were aware of how to work with kids like me, instead of pushing hard in the opposite direction.  There’s no doubt in my mind that that world needs introverts just as much as extroverts.  American society just seems to place a much higher premium on the outgoing and gregarious.

As I get older, I do notice that I’m converting into what I’m dubbing an “adaptive introvert”.  There are certain occasions where I’ve become capable, although not always comfortable, with exhibiting extroverted tendencies. 

There’s one dichotomy of my personality that I find exceptionally interesting, and have probably mentioned before.  When it comes to the every day, I’m risk and change averse: like cutting my hair differently or going into a group of people that I don’t know.  Then there’s the other part of me that seeks the foreign and unknown in a major way: moving to unfamiliar cities alone and not knowing a sole or galavanting off to foreign countries with only a backpack to keep me company.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER