Share/Bookmark

a winter reflection \12.02\

No comment yet
Did you know that only at the equator will roses grow with straight stems?  And Ecuador has found a way to make bank on that: American men and a Hallmark holiday.  That's right, apparently one third of the United States' Valentine's roses are exported from Ecuador.  The things you learn when reading Lonely Planet.

The book also informed me that quinoa has long been a diet staple in the country, particularly the northern highlands.  Looks like I won't have trouble find something to eat on the menus there.  Although, I'm still a little bit on the fence about braised goat and guinea pig.

Thanks to the sixty degree heatwave moving through the Midwest, today was a perfect opportunity to go have a little photo safari.  I didn't wander far from home; in fact, all of the places that I passed, I've been to thousands of times before.

What's interesting is that if I keep my eyes open, I still manage to find something that I didn't notice or didn't exist before.  My natural tendency to always be observing and processing seems to help me ferret out new, interesting or unique photo subjects and perspectives.

And despite the warmth, the environment is still dark and dreary - things that don't particularly match my desired aesthetic.  Yet if I put in a little more effort and look a bit closer, there always seems to be one redeeming shot.

With my tendency to use micro-level life situations as metaphors for life at large, I started thinking about how even in the dark moments of life there are points of light and inspiration to grab ahold of.  You just have to let yourself keep seeking, avoiding the urge to feel like the negative aspects are all-encompassing.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER