Share/Bookmark

late bloomer \09.11\

No comment yet
As soon as I realized that I would be in New York City when 9/11 approached, I found myself wondering if there would be any relevant impact.  Unexpectedly, I saw/heard more about the remembrance of this day on my Facebook feed than I did in the city.  Although I'm sure there were crowds around Ground Zero, the rest of the city felt like business as usual.

At first this struck me as odd.  I wondered why the city wasn't more effusive in its remembrance and memorial.  It finally occurred to me that the city's coping mechanism is much like my own.  When emotions become strong enough, it's easier to keep them close and internal while focusing on life as usual.

Despite the number of people involved in and personally touched by the events of that day, I wasn't directly connected to any of them.  I can't pretend to know the extent of the anguish, grief and fear.  But I do keep going back to July 7, 2005, a day where terrorism was a little too close for comfort in my own life.

Although I was relatively sure of my safety, despite my proximity to the London bombings, I didn't initially take into consideration how my family must have felt.  The phones kept ringing.  They had no idea of my daily routines or my current whereabouts.

As I've gotten older, I've had a deepening sense of how suddenly life can change and how unsure we are of the possible events that will occur at any moment.  The best thing we can do is try to continually move toward the place we want to be with the people who are worth everything to us.  Live, love, and appreciate it all.  Move toward the meaningful and cut out the bull.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER