Share/Bookmark

fight for the only colors \09.29\

No comment yet
There's something about East Lansing, Michigan.  Despite chalking up a loss, I loved being on campus and spending those three hours inside Spartan Stadium.  Two years between visits is much too long.

I spent a little time waxing nostalgic, finding comfort in the familiarity and minimally changed environs.  Then I spent a lot of time feeling old.  College kids look so young and their conversations are on such a different plane.  And all I could do was shake my head at how identically nearly every female dressed.

The staple fashion item is black leggings.  If you're really sassy, they're made of that shiny black "look at me" lycra (although, skintight leggings already yell for attention).  Since we're at a crossroads of seasons, your footwear options are twofold: Sperry's or riding boots.  Don't forget to wear a tiny tee, bare midriff optional.

Maybe it's the sense of community and camaraderie that I feel among a group of people with a shared passion.  Perhaps it's the nearly six years of my life spent there.  Regardless, being in that atmosphere almost makes me want to reconsider that PhD notion.  There's something tempting about spending time in the collegiate world.

Then I remember that I'm five to ten years older than the majority of the population, and there isn't really much to do in East Lansing outside of that social sphere.  Sure, I could go to another university in a more diverse city.  The odds just seem slim that I would find myself quite so devoted and passionate.

Instead I'll follow the same path as many other alumni, trekking back to East Lansing when I can to revel in the sea of green and white.  There's a chance that I'll make it back one more time this season, for the Homecoming game.  I suppose that would be an acceptable make good for missing last year completely.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER