Share/Bookmark

baby blues \05.26\

No comment yet
One interesting side of effect of the zero income status is learning how to be more efficient with what you buy and more industrious with what you already have.  The efficiency lesson started in Costa Rica, although the lower cost of living simplified it.  My weekly grocery total was negligible.  In the city, you have to put in a more concerted effort.

The cost efficiency juggling doesn't really thrill, but I do find some enjoyment in being industrious with whatever I have on hand.  You know those times when you rout through the cupboards and refrigerator claiming that there's nothing to eat?  I've found that a little creative thinking, generally accompanied by some Googling, reveals that there are several ways to mix and match what you have.  Sometimes those experiments come out surprisingly well, other times I'm less than impressed.  In an effort to not be wasteful, I eat them anyways.

I've also been taking standard household goods that are either collecting dust in my storage unit or derive from the packaging of some food item and upcycling them.  I have a mail collector made from a picture frame, sans glass, and some fabric.  The pen holder on my desk is a glass salsa jar with the label removed.  Shoeboxes are an old standby, but now I'm planning to up the visual appeal and create some uniformity by covering them in a neutral fabric.

Do I want to return to the world of not fretting over every cent that I spend?  Sure.  But I also appreciate this unintended life lesson that I ran myself into.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER