Share/Bookmark

from mountains to sea \01.23\

No comment yet

It was already dark when I arrived in Santa Elena last night, so the view was virtually non-existent.  I awoke close to sunrise this morning though, as the light was beginning to creep into the valleys.  This view is actually what I could see from my bed, by merely parting the curtains.  Unfortunately there's a communal balcony outside of my curtains and that could've been awkward.  So I grabbed some of the complimentary continental breakfast and a cup of Tico coffee, then settle in and watch the sun rise from the communal kitchen that offers the same vista.

From this vantage point, what you're seeing off on the horizon is the city of Puntarenas and the Golfo de Nicoya.  They're at the western end of the country, a journey approximately 50 miles long...but taking nearly three hours to complete.  Seems absurd until you take into consideration the change in elevation, from 4,000+ feet to 13 feet.

In other activities today, I managed to buy two days worth of groceries for under $6 (and things are marked up in this town because it's heavily touristy).  I also spent some time suspended over the cloud forest canopy and wandering through the flora.  It wasn't exactly a hike, more like a walk with occasionally exaggerated heights.  The perspective was interesting though.  I think tomorrow's actual hike will be more my speed.

Post a Comment

click on photos to enlarge & see text

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 see as i saw | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER